Types of Supported Independent Living

Home health care services offer a wide range of options that help consumers manage their daily needs and develop a sense of independence. In most cases, home health aides work under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN). They perform assessments, monitor test and laboratory results, administer medications and treatments, educate patients and their families, and provide patient and family support. RNs have at least a bachelor’s degree from a two- or four-year nursing program and are licensed in their state to practice in the health care field.

What is Supported Independent Living?

supported independent living Sunshine Coast is a form of community-based support that allows people to live in the housing option of their choice with a dedicated team of support workers. The SIL service supports people with complex and high support needs who need assistance with daily activities like getting dressed, going to the bathroom, cooking and cleaning.

SIL is funded by the NDIS and includes the cost of a support worker who will be rostered to come into your home or accommodation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is a stated support in your NDIS plan, which means that it must meet the NDIS eligibility criteria of being reasonable and necessary.

In a SIL arrangement, your well-being is always at the forefront of the relationship. This means that the SIL provider will work closely with you to develop a schedule of assistance that meets your needs, while also enabling you to participate in your community and enjoy hobbies and social activities. SIL supports are unique to each person and will change as your needs and goals change.

When might you consider SIL?

If you are interested in moving out of your family home and into a SIL arrangement, it is best to talk to an NDIA planner and local area coordinator to understand whether this is right for you. A support coordinator will be able to maximise your NDIS plan and connect you with SIL providers that suit your individual needs.

The NDIS has a range of housing options, including Supported Independent Living (SIL). This is a way for you to move out of your family home and into a shared house or flat with other people who also have disabilities. In a SIL arrangement, you will have a shared house with other disabled people and get support for everyday activities, such as cleaning, cooking, shopping, recreation and socialising. You can also choose to have a personal support worker to live with you in the community and assist you with things you need on a daily basis, such as managing your budget, public transport to appointments, and household tasks like washing and shopping. You can also choose to have a dedicated support worker who will stay overnight in your home. You will be required to pay rent and utilities, but the NDIS will cover your SIL support costs. SIL is available to NDIS participants with medium to high support needs.

Comments are closed.